Saturday, September 13, 2014

Stereotypes?

Hi! It's been a while. Happy Friday! School's been busy, keeps me from doing things I want to do. I think the worst thing is, in your free time, I might find something cool, and then I'm super inspired to blog, but I don't have the time. Right now for instance, I haven't found something really cool, or been really inspired, I just feel like writing. It's sort of inspirational. Its 9:30 at night, it's raining. Muggy. I'm wearing a dress. Does that never feel inspirational to you?
Anyways, what I was going to write about. Dancers are often very badly stereotyped. I have personally gotten the bad end of the stick; people tend to be pretty nice and respectful here in the islands, but I know in other places it's not as easy. Just today, in one of my classes, we basically got to ask questions about one person. When it was my turn, I got asked a question: what is your favorite outdoor activity? I though about it for a second; I answered, hiking. Someone else asked me: what is your favorite indoor activity? This girl knew perfectly who I was, and I know she was just wanted to see if I said dancing or not. Me, being put on the spot, couldn't think of anything, so I just said dance. A bunch of other people in my class just said something like "Oh, of course." The people who didn't know me said something like "Oh no wonder, she looks like a dancer. I was somewhat taken aback, I never really get stereotyped like that. My body is not a stamp of a "dancer body," it's just, I don't know. It's just me. I guess my body just looks like a "dancer body" because I've dance a whole bunch. I can summarize my, and many people's other thoughts: I don't like stereotypes. I don't mind being known as a dancer, but I don't think people realize that it's not all I ever do. If it was all I wanted to do I'd be training professionally.
I always feel pressured when I do dancer things in public (crack my ankles, toe knuckles, go on releve) I feel self-conscious, like someone watching me knows I'm doing something that a normal person does. One of my closest friends does dancer things all over the place and I don't know how she does it. I guess I don't know how she wears floral patterned jeans and patterned Converse either. My other friends always question us, which I'm ok with, and they always want us to do a really high kick or something, and I don't mind that, but it's kind of annoying. I mean, dancers are just human. That was a terrible explanation about stereotypes, but I felt like writing about this, its been bothering me. Go look at some other stories, there are better ones. I'm positive they're better:)

No comments:

Post a Comment